The learning objectives are this lesson are:
- Understand how to use Absolute and Relative Cells
- Know how to do currency conversions Learning
Students are going to go online to Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com to look at the difference in prices between the US and UK.
The teacher might want to change the list of items to find the prices of to be more topical / more of interest to their students.
Questions to consider are:
- Which country do you think has the cheaper prices?
- What do you think the difference in prices might be?
Finally, show students, using the $ sign to make the reference to the exchange rate an Absolute reference (meaning that excel will not change the referenced cell that is being used when copying and pasting the formula.
The real aha moment is when you have all the date entered for the items (in both currencies) and then just change the exchange rate in one place to then update all the price conversions at the same time!
Extension 2 - Create a table and graph to show the different prices for the items
- What is the price difference?
- Why is there a difference in price?
- Which country is cheaper
I hope that these ideas are useful and the exemplar materials and powerpoint slides are below to download!
For other ideas for teaching aspects of Computer Science / ICT and Business, click here