- Portable and inexpensive - no batteries or expensive equipment required
- A simple way to engage students
- Are easy to differentiate for different student ability
- An appealing learning method for a range of learning styles
- The appeal of a solvable problem in a complicated life
- Practice pattern recognition skills
- An easy, fun activity for all students to complete collaboratively
- A great way to provide extension activities
Here then are my four Binary Crosswords that require students to convert Decimal into Binary!
Puzzle 1 - This puzzle uses only 4 Binary Bits
This second puzzle has 4 Binary Bits but with some 8 Bit extension questions that are a lot more difficult (good for Years 7/8 in particular)
The third puzzle has answers requiring 8 Binary bits (so tests converting decimal numbers from 0 - 255)
And the final puzzle has 8 bit questions but also has some 16 bit questions for those students who require a bit more of a challenge (and therefore test student understanding in dealing with integers between 0 and 65,535)
For other ideas for teaching in general or specifically teaching aspects of Computer Science / ICT and Business, click here.